Sunday, November 13, 2011

John's 100 mile quest a success!


My friend, John Vaupel officially completed his first 100 mile race yesterday!  I went out to cheer him on and couldn't believe the atmosphere at the race.  You must understand the only races I've ever done are marathons and shorter.  This 100 mile crowd is a whole different animal...they have so much more stuff they need it's amazing.  I was with John's wonderful wife, Laura and their darling kids Sam and Grace.  This was their 3rd trip out to see him so they knew what to expect unlike myself.  Once John came around the corner, he was all smiles - see the photos I've attached - and seemed really happy to see us.  Keep in mind this is after he completed 45 miles so to say I was impressed is an understatement.  His wife turned immediately into "pit crew" mode and began to get him whatever he needed.  He gobbled up half a sandwich, grabbed some sports drink, Ibuprofin, Sudafed, gum, and his head lamp because the next time he came around it would be dark then he was off.  I have to say watching him take off was heartbreakingly difficult.  I can only imagine how Laura felt.  To think of how much further he had to go and the punishment he was about to take was unfathomable.  I remembered preparing to take on our first marathon nearly 4 years ago and to see how far he's come (pun intended) was such an inspiration.  He completed his race in 23:46 with his goal being under 24 hours!  I am beyond proud of him.  Please read his blog http://www.johnvaupel.com/ as it really puts you in the mindset of what he and his family had to sacrifice to run this great distance.  Until next time, stay happy, healthy, safe and running.

No comments:

Post a Comment