Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Different Breed

Yikes!  Has it really been nearly 3 weeks since I last posted?  Sorry about that...it's been hotter than hell here in Arizona with temps topping out at 116 degrees so it's hard to blog about running when I can barely run!  As I mentioned in a previous post, the treadmill calls to me this time of year.  I feel like a lab rat on that thing, but my water stays cold, the A/C blows cold and I can usually watch a movie so the good outweighs the bad.  The girls just went back to school, my oldest started 6th grade and my 3 year old is going to preschool 3 mornings a week so I get some freedom again!  You moms know what I'm talking about :-)  With the new school year comes the crowds at the gym.  It reminds me of New Year's because all the moms who couldn't get to the gym during the summer find they now have the time to get a workout in.  I hate to say it, but just like New Year's, the crowds die down after a couple weeks.  I know these women start out with the best intentions, but just can't stick with it.  Why is that?  It's because we runners are a different breed.  I work out 4 or 5 times per week.  My ideal schedule is:  Long run on Sunday, swim Monday, speed intervals, weights and Pilates on Tuesday, Wednesdays off, spin and weights on Thursday, tempo run and yoga on Friday and Saturdays off.  My friends (including my husband) who aren't runners think I'm nuts.  When I run a marathon they say, "Your knees are gonna give out."  To which I respond, "Who cares?  I'm enjoying myself while I can!"  I don't think of them as "haters" they just aren't runners.  They can't get into my mind set.  I agree we running moms are a little nuts but the exercise we do keeps us sane.  Imagine how "nuts" we would be if we DIDN'T work out?  If that makes us a different breed, then thank God for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment