Friday, August 12, 2011

What makes a good running buddy?

If you're anything like me, you need to do your long runs with someone.  Don't get me wrong, I appreciate my alone time just as much as any other mom, but when it comes to the long weekend run I feel going it alone makes it much more difficult.  Yes, it's harder when you have to keep up with someone faster and yes, it's harder to run when you're trying to carry on any sort of coherent conversation but it's more than that.  Meeting up with someone whether it's a large group or just a buddy makes you accountable.  It's hard to sleep in knowing people are waiting for you!  I'm one of those people who never met a stranger she didn't know.  This is to say, if I strike up a conversation with someone (man or woman - I'm an equal opportunity social butterfly!) I will inevitably ask if they are a runner.  If I'm lucky and they are, I always ask them along for our Sunday run.  It's a great ice breaker and immediately makes people feel welcome.  Sometimes I get lucky and find someone fun!  At any rate, my dear friend Tina has been my running buddy for 3 years now.  I have and will run with others in my life, but for now I am honored she has chosen to spend nearly every Sunday morning with me.  We call running on Sunday mornings our "church" and it feels that way to us.  We do it religiously.  What makes her a great running buddy is that she is always strong and up for anything.  Even when she is sick or run down or just plain tired, she is strong.  When I feel weak, her strength inspires me and this keeps me going.  I don't want to let her down.  She is also VERY easy going.  Nothing riles this chick up!  I've seen her upset, but nothing near the red line I can reach.  She is my travel buddy for races and is quite the minimalist.  She barely packs anything and whenever I ask where she wants to go or what she wants to do she usually leaves it up to me to make the plans.  Some people would be bothered by making all the plans, but I love this about her! She must get something out of our Sunday runs as well because she keeps showing up!  Those are the qualities I look for in a running buddy.  Someone who makes me want to be not just a better runner, but a better ME.  What do you think makes a good running buddy?

No comments:

Post a Comment