Tuesday, May 31, 2011

"Barefoot" running

I'm sure you've all heard of the latest fad.  The "barefoot" running shoe (if you can even call them "shoes") is taking the running community by storm.  From what I've seen, these shoes leave people injured and in physical therapy so I think I'll keep on wearing my heavy-duty, sole protecting running shoes.  When I completed my last marathon, the Marine Corps. Marathon in Washington, D.C. we were forced into corrals at the finish since there were nearly 40,000 runners.  While waiting for my medal in the corral, I heard two men talking behind me.  One said to the other, "What did you think of running in those?"  The other guy replied, "Not good.  I think I broke my foot."  At that, he could no longer bear any weight on the broken foot and we called for medical assistance.  They came and helped him out of the crowded corral and laid him (appropriately) on the Iwo Jima War Memorial.  The only other person I know who's tried these out is my Pediatrician's husband (who is also a Pediatrician).  At first, he said his calves hurt but that just meant the shoes were working new muscles.  After training for a full marathon and barely being able to run 15 miles in them, he ditched them and put on his regular running shoes.  He's glad he did because he now thinks these things are a gimmick.  I'm inclined to agree.  Your thoughts?  Do you know of anyone who has improved their running by wearing these "barefoot shoes"?

No comments:

Post a Comment